Sunday, October 19, 2008

Organizing October

October is a tricky month for Red Sox fans--Francesca has that right! Happily I don't have to worry about fitting my studies in--those days are behind me--and my family is pretty supportive of dinners scheduled around baseball games. But even for us self-employed types, there's a lot to navigate.

For me it's the social life in October. Yesterday I had to figure out what to do about having people to dinner tonight. The decision had to be made before Saturday's game, when we didn't know if there would even be a game 7. Appropriately superstitious baseball fan that I am, I hated to say we couldn't do it, because I didn't want to presume there would be a game 7. Appropriately faithful fan that I am, I didn't want to go ahead and plan the dinner, because I couldn't bear not watching game 7 (or only watching it out of the corner of my eye), which, happily, I can now say is happening tonight.

In the end, I went with the tried and true best way to deal with such dilemmas. I was honest. "We just can't commit to dinner Sunday, so let's plan another time." Why should game 7 be any less of an excuse than a business trip, theater tickets, or a school event?

I have put the remaining baseball games on my calendar, in parentheses, so I know to steer clear of potential scheduling problems. October baseball requires careful organization among its fans!

No comments: