Monday, March 9, 2009

Late Night Heartache

It's 3 a.m and I just watched the most amazing game: Netherlands vs. Puerto Rico, Pool D of the World Baseball Classic.

In just two games, the Netherlands are beginning to remind me of the Red Sox of old - the team that always built us up just to let us down.

Tonight's game was really an incredible one. Both teams played very well, until the Dutch pitching broke down and walked 3 guys in the 8th inning - who all eventually scored to take the 1-0 lead the Netherlands had held since the 2nd inning.

Actually, aside from starting pitcher Rick van den Hurk, none of the Dutch pitchers did as well as they did in their first game against the Dominican Republic. 19-year-old Juan Carlos Sulbaran came in and struck out Ivan Rodriguez on three straight pitches to end the 6th, but that was where the good stuff ended.

I'm glad I stayed up to watch the game, even though it's 3 a.m. and I have class in less than 6 hours. But I don't think I'll sleep very well.

No, I'll probably be tossing and turning, knowing that this time tomorrow night I will not be happy with whichever team advances. See, if you like both teams that are playing, it's impossible to just be happy for whichever team wins. I always end up feeling bummed about the team that lost. I wanted the Dominican Republic to go all the way, but I was so excited for a huge Dutch upset.

I guess I'll have to take on a split mentality: One half that can focus on seeing the glass as half-full, and another that can continuously repeat to herself, "Wait till next year..."

No comments: